Thursday, June 25, 2009

BWOF skirt almost done

I've decided I'm a BWOF size 36 on the bottom. After removing all the extra ease I wish I had gone ahead and cut out the smaller size but who knew? Measuring a flat pattern without a marked horizontal line as reference is a pain. Yes, I could have measured from the hemline but it was difficult to tell where the fullest part would be. As you know, I traced it on sewer paper and it's almost translucent. As you can see here-
The fabric is a RL white stretch denim from EOS. Because it has stretch and I didn't want it to grow when I wore it, I made it snug so the size went down from the 36 to what I guess to be around 32 (if only that were true for non-stretch--sigh).

Moment of digression-

I recently decided to organize my sewing stash and can't do it all at once. So, every time I start a new project I have to organize something from that project (ie- interfacing). I pulled all my interfacing out and sorted in Ziploc bags and labeled each to the type of interfacing. Then, I put them in a labeled plastic container. Honestly, there might be a better way of doing that but it looks like it will work. This way I know how much interfacing I have and if I need to get more of a certain type.
Back to the skirt...

The front facing seems to be the issue since the instructions are vague and the words just get mixed up when I try to decipher them. So, threw them out (not literally) and used my sewing knowledge (yeah, that took 2 seconds to run through it;) to figure out how I was going to attach the front portion. Since this is stretch denim it's not necessary that the buttons work but I wanted the look of a button front. Another reviewer on PR put the buttons on and didn't make them functional- I'm thinking on that idea...

Here is how I did the front portion of the skirt- sew the CF and top edges together after they have been interfaced (I used FusiKnit), trim and turn.

Press them well and add top-stitching-

Now, overlap the left over the right or the other way if you prefer- pin

Pin the facing to the skirt front making sure you have not lost the seam allowance at the top and the facing is flush right and left sides at the overlap. (sounds like BWOF instructions...)

Attach at the bottom seam and then along the sides of the facing.

Now, attach the facings to the top of the skirt.

I used an invisible zipper from Cleaners Supply. (zipper photo) They are so much more reasonable than Joanns for the price of notions. Since I'm on notions, I got some buttonhole twist in white from them for the topstitching. My Elna loves it but not the bulk. I'm waiting to try out the new Juki FS600 at my local dealer when it arrives. (I'm so excited!!!)

I topstitched like a pair of jeans with a single needle. I'm sure the CoverPro 1000 could have handled this like a dream but I wanted less bulk so there wouldn't be rippling after the skirt was washed- nice and smooth seams. I used buttonhole twist for topstitching.

My hem ended up being about 3.5in but seems to work well because of the topstitching. Photo of finished skirt will come after the buttons are attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment