Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Project BWOF 4-2009 101A


In the early spring I got some wonderful white stretch denim from Emma One Sock with the intention of making some white jeans from the new Jalie pattern. But, after careful consideration, I figured I wear more skirts during the summer so that's what I'm making: BWOF 4-2009, 101A

I traced the pattern and all sizes and will baste it together to find out which size to make. I'm sure there is an easier way but I have yet to find it. I used sewer paper from Lowes. This isn't ideal because it pulls terribly and the pen leaks through but, it gets the job done. I may transfer this to a muslin.

This pattern has been reviewed on PR and I have read that it's very A-line. I used to think I was X-shaped (or hourglass) but not anymore. I'm thinking my shape is on the verge of a V-shape with the upper body larger than the lower body. (Ain't gettin old grand?) Anyhow, I'm trying to bring focus away from the big girls and more to the lower part of my body. To hear a woman say that it's almost blasphemy! If necessary, I may make it more pencil skirt-ish. The buttons on the front are functional but I don't like the way it looked on the other reviews so I may lengthen the zipper and make it a fake facing.

The pockets are cut on the fold so there will be 2 thicknesses of the denim plus seams on each pocket- I don't care how little you are, who wants all that denim on the front? So, I'm planning on making the pockets lined with a cotton stretch poplin from my stash. The big question I'm having is the topstitching. I think when I run with Chloe and I've done a lot of thinking about this skirt. The thoughts are as follows: 1. White topstitching, 2. Light gray topstitching, 3. Tan topstitching, 4. Combination of 2 colors. What do you think????

I'm anxious to try my Janome CP1000 for the topstitching. Yes, I've been afraid to actually open it up and get her (hereafter referred to as Nan) going. Mainly because I don't have the space to keep it out. The next thing on my list is to get one of those shelves from Lowes that is installed in cabinets that can be mounted below and brought up when you need it. (That's what I'm thinking about at least)

Speaking of naming things, I think it's time to give my machines or as I was taught in chemistry, they are now machines but "instruments", names. Here we go, and yes, I can change my mind- I'm a girl after all!
Janome CoverPro1000- Nan (because Jan is too obvious;)
Elna 3007- Bertha (sounds strong!)
BabyLock Serger- Hummer (cause that's what it sounds like)

Let's see if they stick. I'll post pictures of my progress as I go along.

1 comment: