Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wedding Dress

We have 2 weddings to attend this summer, one in Montana and another in LA.  I'd like to have one dress for both but may change my mind since the temperature is going to vary significantly at each venue.  The dress I'm planning on making and starting the muslin this weekend is New Look 6829.

I'm embellishing the facing piece with metallic thread embroidery, sequins and beads.  The silk is a little dark but since the weddings are in the evening it will look classy.  (Keeping my fingers crossed)


My concern with the pattern is I don't like A-lines on me.  Probably because I'm short and feel like I'm about to float away.  So, the muslin will help me work out the FBA, armhole (armcye) and A-line shape.  
So, plan of attack:
  1. Measure the pattern pieces
  2. Perform a FBA by the slash and spread method
  3. Muslin this up and start making changes
  4. Cut into the silk and make up lining pieces
  5. Send the facing piece over to my mom to have it embroidered
  6. Sequins, beads, sequins, beads...

2 comments:

  1. I made the Simplicity Cynthia Rowley version of the NL pattern and be careful of the slit/v at the front of the dress. Mine was so low, that even a cami looked goofy underneath it!!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd be okay with one dress fr both weddings as long as you make a little jacket or shrug to put on if the weather turns cool...

    ReplyDelete