Thursday, May 28, 2009

Update on Scottsdale Satchel

A few things I've learned along the way... If I were to make this again I would definitely cut the fusible fleece 5/8" smaller than outer portion of bag. Sewing through 4 layers plus several layers of fabric is a chore. This is a picture of the piping and how you can sew the piping (2 parts together), decorator fabric, fleece and lining- whew!
I also added a zippered pocket and omitted 1 small pocket. I used a 9 inch zipper and made a pocket approximately 9.5" x 6". I really like to be able to keep things separate.

My positioning for the small pocket was different as well. The pattern instructed a person to place the small pockets on the sides. I was afraid it would distort the shape when they were filled. I also used bias tape to reinforce the small pocket sides and make more of a contrast so they would be easier to see since the lining is darker.

Next I'll add the grommets. I've never done this before so I'll practice first on some scraps. I don't know if it really matters that I don't have a grommet tool- guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment