Thursday, August 6, 2009

Maxi Dress is finally finished



(Taken from my review at PR.com)

New photos will be added shortly...


Fabric: Matte Jersey [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: The perfect dress for your dream vacation. It‘s long, flowing, sun-backed and colourful. Contrasting straps trim the plunging V-neckline, creating a pretty décolléte.

Pattern Sizing:Burda petite/half sizes 17 - 21

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Were the instructions easy to follow? Not bad for BWOF- after you read it about 10 times.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Because it was a jersey knit, I had to size down for the dress.

Fabric Used:Jersey knit from EOS.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I took out about 2 in on each side because it was too loose in the bust. The model shows a nice flat band at the rib cage. I think this would have occurred had it not had such a large transition from my underbust measurement to the FB measurement. To tighten it up and make it more flattering, I added encased elastic at the bottom of the bodice.

To reinforce the straps, I used the interfacing as directed but then placed 1in woven elastic in the straps for stability. Originally I thought about adding bra cups but didn't want to mess with adding a more stable inner lining which would be required to support the weight, ahem. To add better coverage, I shortened the straps considerably.

The length was good but after reading the style experts tips on maxi's and petites, I opted to shorten it to just above ankle level. I'm 5'4 and took off about 4 in prior to a small turned hem. I wonder if it might be a little short. When I get time, I'll add another photo showing the full length.

A few recommendations, I sewed the front of the bodice to the straps and then turned the straps to the inside. This allowed me to adjust the bodice easier and finish off the inside nicely.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I probably won't sew this again because it's so unusual but I definitely think it's a cute look. If you're busty then you might want to lengthen the top so it doesn't make you appear preggers (like mine). Really, I don't worry about that because everyone knows I'm not pregnant! I did add elastic to the upper and lower edges of the bodice to help pull it all in. If your jersey has lots of stretch, I highly recommend doing it this way.

Conclusion: Easy dress to assemble. It might take some time to get the fit like the model but well worth it. The dress is made for petites but would be easy to convert for non-petites.



I'm on the run right now but will dissect this dress and post photos of the down and dirty insides and workings of this pattern. Boy did I change things. Time for me to start drafting my own patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment